Case Study: Green Scientific

Case Study: Green Scientific

Green Scientific originally approached Cybera Digital to help improve their search engine rankings.

They had been in business for a couple of years already and weren’t seeing any improvement with regards to ranking for their industry.

Case Study: Green Scientific

After some analysis, it was determined that their current website was not under-performing in many ways (leading to customer frustration) and, in order to improve the search rankings, the web site would need to be re-developed and moved to a different platform, with content and design upgrades.

Strategy

After conducting a brand strategy/discovery session with Green Scientific, it was established that their site had become slow, was difficult to maintain, and customers could no longer submit orders through it.

This resulted in orders needing to be fulfilled over the phone, frustrating both local and international customers in the process.

Case Study: Green Scientific
An example wireframe developed from our client strategy session.

Solution

For this project we opted for the Shopify platform. There are a few reasons why we chose this platform including project budget, stability, hosting and international currency requirements, and their excellent product import system.

One of the biggest issues we faced from a usability point of view was that, like many of their competitors, Green Scientific had many product variations listed as separate products. We felt this could be streamlined to benefit the end user, as detailed below.

From a development point of view there were other challenges, as the Shopify platform can be limiting in what custom functionality you can include on your site. To improve some of the discovered usability issues, there needed to be some fairly extensive customisations.

Competitor Analysis

We were able to research a few competitors in the field, and investigated how they laid out these particularly unique products on their sites.

We found that most competitors were displaying product variants as single products, causing hundreds of products to be displayed with the same product image (when you really could’ve displayed one product to resemble the hundred).

We felt this made the product categories difficult to navigate, and would require navigating through multiple pages to find the product you were after.

This is ultimately worse for SEO because it requires the user to navigate through more of the site to find the product they’re looking for.

Imagine having 1 physical lamp that could have any variation of elements inside it (ie. Silver, Gold, Calcium, Boron, etc).

Now imagine browsing a website with hundreds of single products with the same image, and you need to read the product title to see what element was inside.

You’d have to browse through 100 lamp products (and many site pages) to find the exact one you needed.

Original Green Scientific lamp elements
These are all variations of one product, so we felt they would be best represented as such.
There were about 50+ variations of each product.

Now imagine a single product view where you could select any variation of that product3 from a drop-down menu. This simplified view is the direction we took for Green Scientific.

Design

When initially designing the Green Scientific website, we created mood boards with general concepts based on the outcome of the strategy session.

Case Study: Green Scientific
One of many explorations of typefaces, colours, and emotions.

This helped us to align our vision with the client’s, and determine the visual direction of not just the website, but all customer touch-points.

Development

Once we had the general feel for the design direction, we began building the site and working on the interactivity and usability.

Below is an example of how one single product page updates based on the users’ selection – an attempt at simplifying the product variations.

Switch product details based on variation.
An proof-of-concept variation switcher within the new design.

While making the site more usable for its users, we also had to make sure that those variations could still be found directly within the site search.

So, instead of the site returning the parent product, the search results should show the user to the exact variation they were searching for, including by alternative part numbers, and take them directly there:

Search products by alternative part number.

Some products had other variations that needed to be accounted for, including a dynamic colour switcher to visually represent the difference in the product they were selecting:

Case Study: Green Scientific

There were some other business rules that needed to be accounted for, including the need to submit quotes if the total order value was over a certain amount.

We achieved this using a Shopify extension that allows the user to submit a quote request. Green Scientific can then continue with a back-and-forth discussion with the client through the Shopify interface.

Results

Work on the Green Scientific website is ongoing as we attempt to build up the site’s reputation and focus in on the target demographic.

Since the site’s launch in February, there have already been successful purchases from international customers and legitimate enquiries through the new contact form.

The month after launch, we took a step back and re-evaluated the site to make some modifications. Since then, we’ve started to see growth in terms of ranking, usability, and sales.

We will continue to monitor this site over the next 90 days to see how it progresses.

Visit GreenScientific.com.au